Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content

Where do I start?

1. Sign up for the weekly Respite South e-newsletter

The Respite South weekly newsletter contains the latest news about disability respite, recreation and carer support - delivered straight to your inbox every Monday.

Sign up to the e-newsletter on the Respite South home page.

View the newsletter subscription page


There are a number of services set up to assist people who are just starting to look for respite in the Southern Region.

Commonwealth Respite and CareLink Centre Southern Region
CareLine (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
Free call 1800 052 222

CareLine is a telephone service for carers. CareLine is the regional contact point for carers needing information, support, planned short term and urgent respite. CareLine assists carers of people with a disability to consider their immediate and short term needs for respite and support. A CareLine worker will discuss the range of options you have in accessing respite suitable to your needs and the person you support or care for, making the necessary arrangements for alternative care at home or in the community.

The Commonwealth Respite and CareLink Centre Southern Region can also provide other forms of support to carers.  This may include, where required, access to qualified carer support workers who can provide short term emotional support and practical assistance to carers.

For more information, visit This is  the website of the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre Southern Region.

Department of Human Services
Intake and Response Team
Free call 1800 783 783 or TTY 1800 008 149, between 9.00am–5.00pm Monday to Friday.

This is the first point of contact at the Department of Human Services for people with a disability, their carers, or other services providers wishing to access information or support services. They provide information about disability related issues, community supports and a range of general and disability specific support. 

Department of Human Services Disability Intake and Response team webpage

Local Councils

Respite is available in many forms. Your local Council is a key contact if you are seeking respite in the home, or to ask about any other services they offer.

Services will vary between Councils.  Contact your Council to discuss the available options. Below is a list of telephone contacts for each council in the southern metropolitan region:

Bayside City Council (intake) : 03 9599 4381

Cardinia Shire Council (Home and Community Care): 03 5941 5454

City of Casey (Reception): 03 9705 5444

Frankston City Council (Intake): 03 9784 1933

Glen Eira City Council (Reception): 03 9524 3333

City of Greater Dandenong (Home and Community Care): 03 8558 7902

City of Kingston (Home and Community Care): 03 9581 4876

Mornington Peninsula Shire (Reception): 1300 850 600

City of Port Phillip (Reception): 03 9209 6777

Stonnington City Council (Home and Community Care): 03 8290 3224



Search for respite services using the Respite Finder tool.  Add in some details, including the age of the person, their disability and what type of respite you're looking for and you will get a list of service providers you can contact .


View Search for Services page