Skip to Navigation
Skip to Content

Am I a Carer?

A carer can be a parent, sister, brother, husband, wife, partner, foster parent, grandparent, son, daughter, friend or anyone else who supports a person with a disability in their home.

A carer provides unpaid care and support to a person with a disability.

Carers can access respite if they care for a person aged between 6 and 64 years who have a disability, such as:

  • an acquired brain injury
  • an intellectual or physical disability
  • a degenerative neurological condition, or
  • an autism spectrum disorder.

If you care or support someone over the age of 64 (frail aged), or under the age of 6:

  • contact your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre for more information on 1800 052 222
  • visit the website of Alfred Health Carer Services at
  • or, if you are outside the southern metropolitan region, you can go to the Victorian Carer Services Network to find your local Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre via their map.

For more information, please see the Help for Carers: Information for Older Carers and Families of People with a Disability Handbook - hard copies can be ordered from the Department of Human Services website.